“considered to be a ‘must have’ boating safety device…”
The SPOT 2 Satellite Messenger is a tiny personal safety device that is what you need when you can’t depend upon cell phone coverage. The SPOT 2 uses both the GPS satellite network to determine your precise location and transmits that location information to friends, family or an emergency service center. Given the safety and communication benefits, at this price point (~$150), The SPOT II Satellite Messenger is essentially a must have for any boater.
The Spot 2 Satellite Messenger is compact and waterproof and is designed to withstand the rigors of the boating environment. The Spot 2 Satellite Messenger works entirely off satellites vs. cell towers giving you an indispensable safety back up.
How it works…
Once you activate and set up your SPOT II Satellite Messenger account online, with just a push of a button you can use the Check-In/OK mode to let family and friends know all is well on your current excursion, via email or SMS for up to 10 contacts. There is also an SOS/911 mode and the ability for your friends to track your progress using Google maps.
SPOT 2 User Feedback….
- People who have used the SPOT 2 Satellite Messenger generally seem to give it quite high ratings. It is light weight and easy to clip to your life jacket or keep in your pocket.
- It’s regarded as an easy way to keep people updated on a trip with minimal effort and is a great safety device. The Spot 2 GPS device runs on AAA Lithium Ion batteries rather than rechargeable batteries. I like this approach as the power source is cheap and fast to replenish (just pop a few new batteries in).
- The buttons are clearly marked but small which can make them hard to use if you have gloves.
- Some SPOT 2 Satellite Messenger users seem to have trouble with the FindmeSpot.com website. Some of the issues could be browser related others felt that it’s not intuitive.
At such a low price point, The SPOT 2 is considered by users as a must have safety device by coastal sailors, day sailors or any one spending time outdoors in the wilderness.
The SPOT 2 Satellite Messenger is a great compliment to your safety gear, ditch bag or day sail bag.
New features and enhancements of the SPOT 2 (vs. original SPOT) include a GPS acquisition light, custom message button, enhanced antenna performance, safety covers over S.O.S. and Help buttons, illuminated buttons and message sent indicator light. The SPOT 2 Satellite Messenger GPS comes with a form-fitting, soft nylon case and adjustable nylon/elastic arm band with adjustable Velcro closure. Strap the SPOT 2 on your arm or PFD and you won’t even know it’s there but it will be, if you need it! $99 per year service agreement required.
- Approvals: Certifications: FCC, IC, WEEE, SAR, RoHS, CE
- Activation Method: Manual
- GPS: Intrernal high-sensitivity GPS receiver
- Battery Type: Three AAA Energizer™ Lithium Ultimate 8X (L92, included)
- Battery Life: Power on: Approximately three months; SOS/HELP/SPOT Assist: 3–6 days; Check-in/Custom Messages: Approximately 350–700 messages
- Height: 3.7″
- Width: 2.6″
- Thickness: 1″
- SPOT 2Weight: 5.2oz. (147.4g)
- Waterproof: Manufacturer-rated waterproof IPX8
- Warranty: One year for defects in workmanship