Footwear is important on-board and becomes even more important in rain, cold or rough weather. It connects you to the boat. You want to be warm, dry, comfortable and nimble. The Sperry Top-Sider Fathom boot is a boat shoe that accomplishes all of the above. I have used the Fathom on board my 28’ Sabre sail boat and on my 13’ Boston Whaler. It has been tested in every possible condition (including snow!) and has stood up to the test in all of them. There is a lot to like about this boat boot. Here are the highlights:
- Comfort- The Fathom is a very comfortable boot that breathes well so your feet don't sweat as the day heats up or in warmer climates. I use these in New England (Vineyard Sound). The boot has a molded foot bed and ample cushioning to remain comfortable in pounding conditions or all day wear.
- Waterproof- As a marine boot should be, the Fathom is waterproof. It is made with low water absorption leather and other materials to keep your feet dry even if you are sloshing around in ankle deep water. The boot is high (mid calf) and has a draw string at the top to keep spray from going down the top of the boot.
- Easy on and off- I have found these boots easy to get on and off, which helps in getting on deck quickly.
- Mobility- You need to be able to move quickly and confidently on broad. With the Fathom, I feel like I am wearing a pair of light shoes rather than a big pair of clunky boots. Helps when I’m scrambling to take in a sail or haul in a fish. These boat boots have great grip for when you need to move quickly around wet decks.
- Style- Many boots are just plain ugly all substance, not style. The Fathom isn’t one of them. The Fathom blends function with appearance. You can definitely wear these ashore after you arrive.
- No odor- Some of my shoes smell worse than week old fish. The Fathom scores well in this area thanks to its Microbe Shield which protects against bacteria that causes odor.
MarineProductReviews.com recommends the Sperry Top-Sider Fathom boot as a great all around boat boot for the coastal cruiser, racer or inland boater. They will keep your feet dry and comfortable in all weather. Of course, they have an anti-skid sole so you don’t have to worry about that either. These aren’t the least expensive pair of boat boots out there but the high quality and versatility make them a great value for money.
Other Sperry Topsider Reviews:
There are no reviews yet. Be the first to leave yours!