Warm, dry and robust for off-shore use or extended coastal cruising… As with the other Gill sailing foul weather gear that we have reviewed, the Atlantic OS4 is one of the best sailing jackets of its type. When you hit challenging conditions, you depend upon the quality of your sailing apparel as much as any other equipment on your boat. The Gill OS4 Atlantic jacket is a tough, durable and breathable foul weather jacket intended for extended wear use in demanding conditions.
The OS4 Atlantic jacket features Gill’s 3 yellow dots which means that it is apparel suited for coastal and offshore use. The jacket is rated as excellent for several days of continuous use in rough conditions. We found that its waterproof/wind proof construction along with its comfort support this. The jacket is both warm and waterproof marine apparel. The Gill OS4 Atlantic sailing foul weather jacket is made of 3-layer face fabric fully dulled with white non-porous hydrophilic PU membrane coating and nylon tricot backing. The material is waterproof as are the taped seams. The tough fabric used in the Gill OS4 protects against abrasion from decks, hardware and rigging. This foul weather jacket offers full storm protection including double storm flaps with full heavy duty velco. One nice feature of this Gill sailing jacket is the tall collar which offers full wrap around and Velcro face protection. The OS4 sleeves has Glideskin neoprene inner cuffs. The outer cuffs have heavy duty Velcro strap adjustments that are easy to grab and use even with gloves which is exactly what is needed in a foul weather jacket intended for rougher conditions. This Gill sailing jacket also includes a comfortable and effective hood that stows away in the collar. The zippers for the front, the hood and pockets are very beefy and offer pulls that can also be easily accessed even with foul weather gloves on. The Gill OS4 Atlantic foul weather jacket in addition to being up to the elements is also comfortable, flexible and offers great breathability The jacket enables full range of motion which is required with active ocean use, and for long periods of use. The Gill Atlantic sailing jacket is constructed to allow for layers underneath. This enables you to tailor the insulation to your climate. In our foul weather apparel reviews, we like to consider the size an accessibility of the pockets. It’s important to he able to stuff a hand held GPS, hand bearing compass or phone in your pocket and just as important to be able to get them out quickly. The big cargo pockets on the Gill OS4 Atlantic foul weather jacket definitely provide for this. The last aspect of the Gill OS4 Atlantic foul weather gear review is the appearance. The jacket comes in both black/storm gray and red/storm gray color combinations. Both offer reflectors on the wrists, shoulders and chest as well at reflective piping on the front and back for 360 degree visibility. Marine Product Reviews recommends the Gill OS4 Atlantic foul weather jacket as a high quality and highly functional marine apparel item. It retails for around $449 which makes it a bit more expensive than other sailing jackets. However, if you are going to be off shore or doing extended coastal cruising, this Gill sailing foul weather jacket is worth the investment.
Gill OS4 Atlantic Foul Weather Jacket Features
- 3-layer breathable fabric Gelanots® PA66 Oxford Middle: Breathable PU membrane Back: PA66 Tricot Warp knit with improved durability protects against abrasion from decks, fittings and rigging.
- High, wrap-around, fitted faceguard offers excellent weather protection.
- Intelligent placement of thermal collar lining for reduced bulk and greater comfort.
- Double stormflap for full protection in even the wettest conditions.
- Zippered security pocket beneath the storm flap allows access to stored items without opening the jacket.
- Rollaway hood with volume adjustment for improved fit, designed to move with the head.
- Close fitting Glideskin inner cuffs prevent water getting inside while the outer cuffs with Velcro adjustment easily accommodate thick gloves.
- High-visibility Reflexite® reflectives.
- Reflective piping front and back for 360º visibility.
- Durable laminated cuff tabs for quick and easy adjustment.
- Sleeves are cut for full freedom of movement for active ocean use.
- Large capacity, angled cargo pockets for ease of access.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first to leave yours!